RCSLT East Midlands Hub: Let's get digital! --- Part One


RCSLT Hubs Logo
(source: https://twitter.com/rcslthubs)
The RCSLT Hubs – East Midlands day 22nd May 2018! Part one.


Hello there! Thank you so much for stopping by, I hope you’re having a lovely sunny week. This blog post is a little bit different - I thought it would be fab to invite my lovely fellow student speechies to write a little about what they thought of the event! 
I have complied Jess, Shagufta and Tara’s wonderful reflections into part two of this mini post series to keep things nice and accessible for everyone to read.

So, this is part one; some info about the hub, my reflections of the day and some extra awareness chat too.


The RCSLT banner!
#letsgetdigital


With all of my assignments submitted for the summer (yay!) off I went to this year's East Midlands RCSLT Hub, held in Leicester. I was excited to be going with 3 other DMU Speech and Language Therapists (SLT/SALTs) students; Tara, Shagufta and Jess, and it was great to see a few of our lecturers there too!
The Royal College of Speech and Language Therapists (RCSLT) has regional ‘hubs’ throughout the UK, which provides SLT’s and student SLT’s with opportunities to build evidence bases, share research, promote the profession to others and form networks for collaboration.


During the day, we had talks about digital updates within the RCSLT, the barriers to the use of technology within SLT practise, and a collation of ‘lightning talks’ from SLT’s who have had experience of implementing technology into clinical practise. We also had a fab ‘year of social media’ presentation from the Nottingham Healthcare Trust SLT team, I would highly recommend following them at @Portland_SLT on twitter! Last but by no means least, we heard from Della Money, the RCSLT Board of Trustees Deputy Chair, who spoke to us about next steps both for the use of technology in SLT practise but also for the east midlands Hub.
I really enjoyed the day, it was so informative and it was great to be part of a group of SLT’s supporting each other and sharing their experiences towards improving their SLT practise through technology. I am very much looking forward to the next Hub and can’t wait to see what we can achieve.
#LetsGetDigital talks!
As a little bonus, I am briefly going to mention the Bercow 10 Years On petition. If you’re interested in learning more please let me know and I can write another post dedicated to this, I know we have chatted lots and this has been a little lengthy!
This year, the RCSLT and ICAN have been raising awareness of the Bercow 10 Years On report. SLT’s across the country have been taking part in the Bercow10relay and we have our very own Bercow10 speech bubble at DMU thank to the RCSLT! I was very excited to finally have a photo with the speech bubble to help raise awareness of the desperately needed provision of speech and language support for children with SCLN. You can sign the petition here: https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/215643.
Myself, Shaugfta and Jess
and the Bercow Bubble!
Here are some links for more information regarding Bercow 10 years on if you’re interested in learning more: www.bercow10yearson.com and https://www.rcslt.org/governments/bercow_ten

In light of the fab #LetsGetDigital theme, I have popped some social media links below:

Twitter
The biggest of thankyou’s to Tara, Jess and Shagufta for contributing to this mini post series! I loved collaborating with my fellow DMU SLT2b’s, and hope to do a little bit more of in the future. Also, a huge thank you to all the organisers and speakers at the East Mids RCSLT Hub!

And thank YOU for reading, it means a lot to me. As always, I would love to hear from you – any questions (or you’d just like to chat) I am more than happy to answer, please leave me a comment or pop me an email.


For more in-depth reflections about #LetsGetDigital and the RCSLT Hubs, pop over to Part Two of this mini series and have a read of Jess, Tara and Shagufta’s post here: https://speechieatdmu.blogspot.com/2018/06/part-two-rcslt-east-midlands-hub-lets.html See you there!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A post about leadership...with the CoD Student Leadership Programme

University and Chronic Illness: Introducing Pippa Stacey

Lovely news: Giving Voice Awards 2019

Lovely news: Student SLT Sarah Buckley Therapies Grant